The MEXT Asia Pacific University Japanese Government Scholarship is awarded to outstanding international students who are recommended by APU. This scholarship is offered by the Japanese Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science, and Technology, (MEXT) with the aim of enhancing international competitiveness and promoting the active exchange of international students in Japanese universities.
In order to apply for this scholarship and be considered, applicants must first apply to APU. APU will then choose eligible candidates to recommend to the scholarship organization.
MEXT Asia Pacific University Japanese Government Scholarship Details
- Host Country: Japan
- Offered by: The International Graduate Scholarship is offered by Japan’s Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science, and Technology.
- Degree Level: Master’s Degree (2 years)
- PhD: (3 years)
Programs Offered by Ritsumeikan Asia Pacific University (APU)
- Asian Pacific studies related subjects
- Management studies related subjects
MEXT Asia Pacific University Japanese Government Scholarship Eligibility Requirements
The following are the eligibility requirements an intending applicant must take not of and posses:
- Must have the intention of studying abroad in Japan from overseas.
- Must not have Japanese nationality and be a national of a country that has diplomatic relation with Japan.
- Be born on or after April 2, 1986
- Should have achieved a GPA of at least 2.30 on a scale at their most recent university.
- Those who are serving on active military duty or civilians who are employed by the military at the time of application are not eligible for this scholarship.
- Recipients are expected to be able to arrive in Japan during the arrival period stipulated by APU.
- Those who apply for this scholarship must not have received a MEXT scholarship in the past except they have more than 3 years of educational research experience after the final payment of the previous MEXT scholarship award.
- Those who apply for this scholarship are not expected to be applying for another MEXT scholarship.
- Recipients of this scholarship are not to receive a scholarship from another scholarship organization while studying at APU.
- Recipients of this scholarship are expected to have “student” as their status of residence (Visa status) in Japan.
The award covers the following:
- 100% of tuition (covered by the APU Tuition Reduction Scholarship)
- 144,000 JPY per month for living expenses (amount is subject to change)
- Economy class air travel between the home country and APU at the beginning and end of the program.
Application and Selection Process
- Applicants are to submit the APU application by November 18, 2020 (for September 2021 Enrollment). Additional documents are not needed for this scholarship.
- APU will review application documents and chooses outstanding candidates to recommend to MEXT.
- Applicants chosen to be recommended for this scholarship, get notified with their final APU application results.
- Selected applicants are to complete and submit additional MEXT application documents to APU.
- The final scholarship award results are decided by MEXT.
How to Apply for MEXT Asia Pacific University Japanese Government Scholarship
Students are to apply directly to university and fill out the application form using the following procedure given below:
- Students are to click on the “Apply Online Button” below in green color for apply.
- Then sign up on APU admission portal by creating account.
- Enter the application form online, upload, and submit all required documents.
- Applicants are to upload to the MEXT online application system by the specified deadline. Late submission, as well as incomplete application, will not be processed.
- Thereafter, applicants can pay the application fees and submit the application.