How to Delete My Facebook Account – Have you ever asked the question to a colleague or Google, “How do I delete my Facebook account?”, Well, gone are the days when to delete your Facebook account used to be a long and tedious process. You will be shown how to easily deactivate your account, or delete it forever.
Let’s Call a Spade a Spade
The use of Facebook does not do any favors to your online privacy.
The recent piece of bad news for Facebook users is the massive security breach, where over 50 million people had their security details compromised. That may be the final straw for you and you are ready to the Facebook platform, welcome, you are at the right place.
What You Need to Know – Deleting Vs Deactivating
Before we get to the step-by-step walk through, it’s important to understand the two options Facebook gives you when you decide to close your account.
You may decide to deactivate your profile, or completely remove it from existence.
What Happens When You Deactivate Your Facebook Account?
- None asides you will be able to see your profile.
- Some information, like sent messages, will remain visible.
- Your name will still show up on friend lists, except for your friends.
- Your name, comments or posts will be visible to the admins of groups you’re joined.
- You can still make use of Messenger.
Your account can remain deactivated for as long as you’d like, however, when you log in back or using the account to log into a connected app/service will prompt the reactivating of your account.
What Happens When You Permanently Delete Your Facebook Account?
- You can’t reactivate your account again.
- All the content you have ever added on Facebook will be wiped out forever, without the possibility of retrieving it (except if you have already downloaded an archive of your data).
- Applications that use your Facebook account won’t be accessible via Facebook Login anymore.
- Info, like messages you’ve sent, won’t be deleted and will remain visible to them.
- You won’t be able to use Messenger.
Your Data Don’t Go Immediately
Facebook gives you a 30 days grace period in case you change your mind. After that period expires, your account and all related data to it will be gone forever. Please note that it may take 90 days for all your information to be permanently deleted – during that period
Alright You Have Made Up Your Mind To Ditch Facebook
Do the following in order to permanently delete your account:
- Go to your settings page. On the other hand, you can click the arrow in the top-right corner and access your settings from there:
- On the left, you will see “Your Facebook Information” tap on it, then you will see “Delete Your Account and Information” click on it too:
- A page appears with suggestions for either deactivating your account or downloading your information. Just click on Delete Account:
- You’ll be prompted to enter your password. Do it, then click on Continue:
- If you decide to cancel the deletion, you have a 30 days grace period to log into your account and click on Cancel Deletion. If not, you need to be patient for a month, before your Facebook account is permanently wiped out.