How to Apply for Work Permit in USA | Work Permit Application

How to Apply for Work Permit in USA – Get a work permit with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) with the right information and documents. To do this, you should visit the USCIS website, download form I-765, and carefully fill in the needed information following the instructions provided.

As long as you stick to providing all the information that is requested on the form, as well as providing copies of official documents as regards your eligibility category, then the process would be straightforward and easy.

Within 90 days the USCIS will get back to you letting you know if your application is approved.

READ MORE: Job Opportunities For Immigrants – Work in Canada 2022

Is a Work Visa Mandatory While Applying For a Work Permit

It is important to get a work visa while applying for a work permit. A work visa is a type of employment permit that gives someone the permission to secure or take up a job offer in a different country.

An employee is likely to need an employment visa as well as an additional work permit that will allow them to pursue a career in any country of their choice.

Below are types of work visas that you are likely to choose from:

Nonimmigrant visas

This type of work visa, states that its holder is required to depart from the U.S. at the stipulated date that the visa expires unless its holder chooses to reapply and extend the date. The nonimmigrant visas below allow employees to only work for a specific employer in the USA.


This type of nonimmigrant visa allows employees to work for foreign businesses that are affiliated with U.S. companies. An employee who has transferred the a USA branch within their organization, would be required to have this type of non-immigrant visa.  Additionally, employees who are sent by their company or organization to USA to set up a branch will need this type of work visa.

And for employees to qualify, they need to have worked for the foreign company for one uninterrupted year within a three-year period before entering the U.S. This visa is of two categories: L-1A and L-1B.

READ NOW: 2,000+ Visa Sponsorship Jobs In Canada 

H-1B specialty occupation

This is a popular type of work visa in the U.S. that is available to people from other countries whose job role is focused on a specialty occupation like; engineering or computer science.  This is as a result of the high demands placed on this type of visa, bringing about an annual cap on the supply. To be able to qualify for this type of visa, you must have secured a job offer from a U.S.-based employer and you must also hold a specialty position.


This is a nonimmigrant visa meant for people who have extraordinary skills within their field. For this to be proven and demonstrated, they must to be able to show that they have attained the top of their field with a national or international recognition for their achievements.


E-1 is a type of visa that allows people from certain countries to visit the U.S. for the purpose of carrying on trade activities. People can as well obtain this type of work visa as Treaty Investors or Treaty Traders. However, for you to come to the U.S. as an investor, you need to have invested a large amount of money into a U.S based business, and you should be able to show you’re coming to develop your investment.


This work visa was created by the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA). It is specifically meant for Mexican or Canadian citizens who want to come to the U.S. to work for an employer. For you to qualify, it is mandatory to prove you are a citizen of any of the above-mentioned countries, having a job offer from a U.S. employer, with a position that qualifies you under NAFTA. Some examples of these kinds of jobs are lawyers, engineers, scientists, accountants, and pharmacists.

READ MORE: Unskilled Jobs With Visa Sponsorship UK

Immigrant visas

An immigrant visa is a work visa that is issued to a foreign national who has plans of working and liviy in the U.S. permanently. Most of the time, employees may only be able to apply for these work visas after they must have moved into the U.S. It allows them to change their status to permanent residents to avoid the need of having to leave the country. Below are the types of visas found in this category:

EB-1 multinational executive

This Visa is similar to the L-1 nonimmigrant visa, it requires you to meet up with the same criteria. Which  includes; working for your foreign company for the past three years, as well as holding a managerial or executive role.

EB-1 extraordinary ability

For you to qualify for this type of immigrant work visa, you have to prove that you can meet up with at least three out of the 10 different criteria demonstrating extraordinary ability. These include; awards, membership in associations, publications about you or your work, publication in scholarly journals, a high salary, your original contributions to the field, exhibitions of your works, judging the works of others, and many other criteria.

EB-2 advanced degree

You will need a sponsorship by a U.S. employer, with a complete PERM certification process, in order to qualify for this work visa. Candidates are required to have a minimum of a master’s degree or a foreign equivalent, because you will also need to show that the position you’re pursuing requires a minimum academic certification of a master’s degree in the U.S.

Australian professional specialty visa

This applies to foreigners from Australia, their spouses and any of their children below the age of 21. The candidate must be going to work within a specific occupation in the U.S. There are usually a limited number of these visas issued every year, however, the spouse and children of the candidates do not count around that number. Applicants are expected to have a bachelor’s degree or a foreign equivalent, have the required special skill set that’s needed to fill a specialty position and have again have a job offer from a U.S. company


Important Steps on How to Apply for Work Permit in USA

  • Visit the USCIS website, download form I-765 entitled “Application for Employment Authorization.”
  • Carefully fill in the needed information following the instructions provided
  • After inputting information, submit the front and back copy of Form I-94, Arrival-Departure record I-9 copy of a Federal Government-issued identity document such as; a passport clearly indicating your name, date of birth and picture.
  • Submit a prove of visa issued by the foreign consulate, or a national ID document with photo
  • Two identical colour photographs of you, in both a white and off-white background, taken within thirty (30) days of filing your application must be submitted.
  • Carefully check current I-765 application form to be sure you’re submitting the correct documents, photos, and fee.
  • Mail completed application to the USCIS Service Center that serves the area you live


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *