Hangouts Google or Google Hangouts may be interchangeably, but actually it is Google Hangout, and from the product name it suggests hanging out with friends, loved ones and colleagues on Google.
What is Google Hangouts
Google hangouts is a service that allows its users to start and participate in text, voice or video chats, either one-on-one or in a group. Hangouts is incorporated into and Gmail just as Google Meet is, and Google Hangouts app are available for Android, and iOS devices.
Google Hangouts can be a very useful and cost-effective communication and collaboration platform for enterprise customers. Hangouts also comes with an option called “Google Hangouts on Air”, which basically allows Google+ users to broadcast video calls live on YouTube.
Organizations tend to use hangouts on air to conduct their webinars and talk shows, because it is accessible, even from the comfort of one’s home.
Google Hangouts replaces the previous chat capabilities built into Gmail. Hangouts can also integrate with Google Voice, which allows users of that service to make free domestic phone calls from their devices.
As of this writing, the protocols that Google Hangouts runs on are proprietary.
How to open Google Hangouts through Gmail
Group chats on Google Hangouts can accommodate up to 150 people, while video calls can connect up to 25 people.
You can also send videos, photos, animated emojis, stickers GIFS and maps. Google Hangouts is compatible across iPhone desktop, and Android. Here’s how to open Google Hangouts via Gmail.
- Open up gmail.com in your favorite browser and log into your account.
- Click on the “Hangouts” icon, which you can see as a quotation mark at the bottom left of the screen.
- Once that is done, you’ll be automatically signed into Google Hangouts. To initiate a new chat, click on the “+” sign. To commence a chat, enter the person’s name or email address. You can also create a new hangout group by clicking on “New Group” and then typing in multiple email addresses.
Features of Google Hangouts
Here are some useful features of Google Hangouts we think you should know:
- You can have One-on-One Chat and a Group Chat
As a user, you are allowed to add about 100 friends to hang out in a group in Google Hangouts as well as having one-on-one chat with one friend. You can also share location maps and pictures in chat. Also, you can make your chat fun by adding emoji, stickers and GIFs.
- You can do a Video/Voice call
With Google Hangouts, you can have a voice chat or conversation with a group of 10 friends or more. Also, you making a video call is just a single click away.
- You stay synced and connected on all your Devices
Your chats are synchronized on all your Windows, Android and iOS devices with hangouts. If you are in the middle of a chat on your Windows desktop or Mac desktop and you have to leave your desktop, you will be able to continue your conversation on your android or iPhone mobile app with hangouts.