How to Upload and Delete Phone Contacts on Facebook – When you install the Facebook app on your smartphone, one of the permissions the app requests for is access to your smartphone’s contact (or phone book). According to Facebook, it uses your phone contacts to recommend you, people, to add as friends, follows and connect with — which it does.
However, Facebook has been involved in countless scandals that revealed the social media giant sells user data. This is one of the reasons why you might want to get some of your data off the platform.
Ways to Upload Phone Contacts To Facebook
The process of uploading contacts on Facebook is the same on both Android and iOS. Just follow the instructions below.
- Tap on the Menu icon (three horizontal lines).
- Scroll down to Settings and Privacy > Settings.
- Tap on Media and Contacts.
- Locate the setting labeled Continuous Contacts Upload.
- Slide the toggle into the on position.
All your phone contacts will start automatically uploading. Friend recommendations based on your phone contacts will start appearing in the Find Friends section of the app (Menu > Find Friends).
How To Delete Phone Contacts From Facebook
follow the simple steps below.
- Launch your browser (either on mobile or PC) and enter the address browser’s address bar: https://www.facebook.com/mobile/facebook/contacts/
- You’ll be required to login to your Facebook account. If you’re already logged in, continue to step 3.
- Under the “Contacts” tab, you will see a list of your contacts that you have previously uploaded to Facebook.
- Tap the “Delete All” button to delete all the uploaded contacts.
- Tap “Delete” in the new pop-up window to confirm your action
Now that you’ve successfully deleted uploaded contacts, the next thing to do is to prevent Facebook from automatically (re)uploading your contacts in the future. Since contacts are being uploaded from your device, you’ll have to disable ‘continuous contact upload’ on the Facebook app on your smartphone. Here’s how to get it done.
- Launch the Facebook app on your device
- Tap the menu icon at the top-right corner of the app
- Scroll to the bottom and tap “Settings and Privacy” and then tap “Settings”
- In the Settings section, tap “Media and Contacts”
- Lastly, toggle off “Continuous Contacts Upload”
And that’s it. You have successfully cleared all of the contacts uploaded to Facebook and subsequently stopped continuous upload of your phone book data to Facebook.