Google 2020 Africa Travel and Conference Grant Application – The Google 2020 Africa Travel and Conference Grant Application give everyone an opportunity to pursue connections in the industry, network with peers as well as a career path in technology.
Thus, in order to break down the barriers that prevent underrepresented groups in technology from attending leading conferences, Google is excited to offer this conference and travel scholarships for selected conferences in the tech industry and related fields.
Table of Contents
Google was birthed in 1996 by Larry Page and Sergey Brin as Ph.D. students at Stanford University, in California.
Together, they own about 14% of the company shares as well as control 56% of the stockholder voting power through supervoting stock.
Google stands as an American multinational technology company that specializes in Internet-related services and products. These include online advertising technologies, search, cloud computing, software as well as hardware.
About Google Grants
Google Grants are available in North America for all traditionally underrepresented groups in technology (including, but not limited to, African, Americans, Hispanics, Native Americans persons with disabilities, women, and veterans), in Europe for women in technology, in India and in Africa for students whose research papers have been accepted at top-tier conferences in Computer Science and related areas. (Google 2020 Africa Travel and Conference Grant Application)
Level/Field of Study
Google Travel and Conference Grants are available to participants who wish to further train in the field of computer science and its related fields whose research papers have been accepted at top-tier conferences.
In order to encourage attendance at technical conferences, Google will offer selected recipients:
- Free conference registration
- North America: Cost of one registration for the virtual conference which is listed on the North American tab.
- Europe: Offers up to 1,000 EUR towards travel and accommodation costs (paid after the conference).
- India: An award in the range of 1,000 – 3,000 USD which will cover conference registration, travel, accommodation as well as other related expenses.
- Africa: An award in the range of 1,000 – 3,000 USD which covers conference registration, travel, accommodation, and related expenses. The scholarship amount is based on the cost of the international conference.
- Japan & South Korea: Up to 3,000 USD which covers air tickets and lodging (will be paid after the conference). The scholarship amount depends on the cost of the international conference.
Who is Eligible (Google 2020 Africa Travel and Conference Grant Application)
To be eligible for a scholarship to attend an international conference, applicants are expected to:
- To be a student enrolled with a recognized University in Africa who needs a conference travel funds.
- Should be studying computer science, computer engineering, or a technical field related to the conference subject.
- Should have a paper accepted for presentation (oral or poster) in the main conference program at a top-tier Computer Science conference. Google prefers to support conferences in research areas where it has a strong interest. Please visit research.google.com for a list of areas. Note, the paper must be accepted for full publication and preferably a full oral presentation. Note also that workshop papers will not be approved for travel scholarships.
- Applicant must be the sole or joint first author of the accepted paper.
How to Apply (Google 2020 Africa Travel and Conference Grant Application)
To apply, please submit this form by the deadline for the conference that you wish to attend.
Note: Scholarship eligibility differs by region, so please you are to review the information on the region-specific tabs on the top. Scholarships will be awarded to the most qualified persons depending on application review. Every applicant will get notification of their status according to the time frames specified for the region. (Google 2020 Africa Travel and Conference Grant Application)