Delaware Food Stamps Eligibility Guide and How to Apply – ”Delaware Food Stamps Eligibility Guide and How to Apply” The Delaware food stamps program also known as SNAP (supplemental nutrition assistance program) offers families and individuals that earn low income to be able to buy food and food items needed for a balanced diet and good health.
If you are interested in applying for the Delaware food stamps, you must be sure you are qualified and meet the specified criteria. The stamps benefit is been accessed through an EBT card (electronic benefits transfer).
So, if you are in the categories of those who don’t earn enough to cover food costs for you and your family, you might be eligible for the food stamps. Moreover, if you are qualified for the food stamp benefits, then the food stamp allocation will be allocated to your EBT card, from whence you can get food item, but the stamp benefit you get depends on your income and the size of your family.
Delaware Food Stamps Eligibility Guide
The food stamps program in Delaware is been controlled by the DHSS (Delaware Health and Social Services). The program is also called Delaware Food Supplement Program. the fact is that if you meet the requirement of the stamp program, you will get a special debit card called the EBT card like I earlier said. (Delaware Food Stamps Eligibility Guide and How to Apply)
The EBT card is monthly loaded with the amount of money you are eligible for. The card can be used to purchase food in some grocery stores, selected farmers market, and other retail outlets that approve the use of the card.
Things That Can Disqualify You from the Delaware Food Stamps Benefit
Below are some of the things that may not make you eligible for the Delaware food stamps benefit;
- if you are a non-citizen without a legal document
- if you have been convicted of drugs trafficking
- If you are a student in a higher institution (although there are exceptions if you are a single parent, special cases or you are working).
- If you have been caught or convicted for committing food stamp fraud or have broken the food stamps program rules on purpose.
- If you are running away from a felony warrant.
The list above shows some of the disqualification rules for the stamp benefits.
How to Apply For the Delaware Food Stamps
Below are the different ways to apply for the Delaware food stamps;
First off, you can apply online. This is the easiest way to apply, you can apply online through the Delaware ASSIST account. If you already have an account, you can log in or create your ASSIST Account. Click on this site to be taken directly to the website; https://assist.dhss.delaware.gov/.
You can also, print out an application, fill the form, and mail or fax it to your local office.
You can also apply by calling your state hotline to check if you can apply by phone. You can call them through the line given on the website.
For you to be eligible for the food stamp program, you must first be a resident of Delaware state and meet any of the requirements listed below;
- A person that is 60 and above
- A person with a child, spouse, a parent that is disabled, or if you are disabled
- You need to have a current bank balance that meets the specified amount required. You can check the required amount via this link; https://www.benefits.gov/benefit/1240.